Christmas Stars Virtual Choir
To celebrate the 25th season of Christmas Stars we invite past Christmas Stars cast and crew to join us,
virtually, on stage for a portion of our choir set, singing a verse of the beloved classic, Silent Night.
Record yourself singing using the instructions below, send in the recording
and we'll include it in a composite video that will be seen and heard
by the audience along with the live choir at each performance.
We'll need your recordings no later than September 30th.
First, review the guidelines
Tips from Bethany on diction, timing and dynamics
Watch this before recording
- Practice with the demo for your part so you are familiar with the song.
- Watch yourself in a mirror so you don’t forget to smile while singing.
- Wear dark colored clothing. No logos or printing on your shirt.
- Stand in a spot with a neutral background in a well-lit area.
- Neat appearance: No hats (they shade your face) Comb or brush your hair as you would if you were going to be on stage. If you wear glasses, stand at a slight angle so as to reduce the reflected glare from your glasses.
- Eliminate background noise (TV, air conditioner, fan, etc.) Close doors and windows to eliminate outside noise (traffic, trains, birds, lawn mowers, etc.).
Next, get your music files
You'll want to print or download this.
Use these videos to learn your part.
Use these videos when you're ready to record.
These videos begin with five clicks, before the track begins.
Last, record and send your video
- You will need two devices; one to play the track and the second one to record your video. These can be just about any kind of device: Smart phone, tablet, laptop, desktop.
- Hold the recording device (camera, ipad, etc.) steady—don’t pan the camera.
- Use the landscape orientation. The finished video should be more wide than tall.
- Start your recording device then say and spell your name the way you want it printed in the program. Example: Susie Snowflake S U S I E S N O W F L A K E
- Say your voice type (soprano, alto, tenor, bass).
- Say your location (Green Bay, Appleton, etc).
- Say the number of years you were in Christmas Stars—if you know.
- Turn on your laptop, tablet or whatever you are using to play the track.
- Plug in your headphones or earbuds. Note that we only want your voice to be recorded. It is critical that headphones or earbuds be used so that the recording does not contain any of the accompaniment.
- Listen for the five clicks before the track for Silent Night begins. After you hear the five clicks, then plug in your headphones. We need to hear those clicks in order to synchronize all of the files but after that, we only want to hear your voice. We will remove the clicks during the final step in the editing process.
- Don’t be critical of yourself; remember that your recording will be blended with 100’s of other voices. This is meant to be fun!
- If you are recording with another person please limit it to 3 people in one video and everyone needs to provide the above information. If you are recording a small group, the entire group (2 or 3 people) need to be singing the same part (Soprano, Alto Tenor or Bass)
Save and Share Video
Not Sure About All This?
If you are not able to make your own video or not comfortable with the technology or any other aspect of this project, you can email us and make an appointment to come to the studio. We have all of the necessary equipment and will be more than happy to record your video and take care of everything. All you will need to do is learn the song and sing it. To make an appointment just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org . Our studio is located in Appleton so if you live in the Fox Valley area or if you will be visiting any time before September 30th, this may be a good option for you. Unfortunately, the studio is not mobile.